This is a 10-week course that runs from January 15 - March 24, 2024, and covers a foundation skill in construction. Participants should know how to read blueprints and have basic knowledge of estimating. Estimating and Bidding 1 is not a prerequisite of this class.
This online estimating and bidding course is designed to provide you with hands-on estimating and quantity take-off activities associated with Metals, Wood, Doors and Windows, Finishes, Electrical, and Mechanical Estimating. We will also focus on the preparation of work-place ready estimating documents. By the end of this class you should be able estimate the conceptual cost of structural metals, prepare a quantity take off and estate of rough carpentry, prepare a quantity take off of roofing and waterproofing, use unit prices to price doors and windows, prepare a quantity take off and estate various finishes, prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of mechanical systems, and prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estate of electrical systems. This class is 100% online. Students should expect to spend 3-5 hours a week on course work from January 15 - March 24, 2024.
PREREQUISITES: To do well in this course you should already have the following skills:
- Know how to read blueprints
- Know how to use a spread sheet software such as Microsoft Excel, Numbers (Mac)
- Have a basic knowledge of construction estimating subjects including:
- Basic math skills
- Estimating terminology (quantity take off, unit price, production rate, etc.)
- Use of the calculator and architectural scale
- Be able to organize your work so it can be easily understood by others
- Perform quantity take offs and conceptual estimating for structural and miscellaneous metals
- Prepare quantity take offs and estimates for rough carpentry and framing
- Prepare quantity take offs and conceptual estimates for waterproofing and roofing
- Prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of various finish trades
- Utilize conceptual estimating methods to arrive at mechanical and plumbing budgets
- Utilize conceptual estimating methods to arrive at electrical budgets
By the end of this class you should be able to:
- Estimate the conceptual cost of structural metals
- Prepare quantity take off and estimate of rough carpentry
- Prepare a quantity take off of roofing and waterproofing
- Use unit prices to price doors and windows
- Prepare quantity take off and estimate various finishes
- Prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of mechanical systems
- Prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of electrical systems
Students will also need the following materials:
- A calculator
- An architectural scale
- A couple of colored pencils
- A spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers). An acceptable free spreadsheet program can be downloaded from OpenOffice.org,
Students will be provided with a textbook, Estimating in Building Construction, 9th Edition by Steven Peterson and Frank Dagostino, that they may keep. Text books will be mailed out prior to class starting.
The deadline to receive a refund for event registration is (7) seven business days before the event. Cancellations received after the stated deadline will not be eligible for a refund.