This is a 10-week course that runs from January 15 – March 24, 2024. This construction materials and processes online course will give the student an overall understanding of materials and methods to advance your construction career and become part of your knowledge base for construction certificate programs such as our Certificate in Construction Estimating and the Certificate in Construction Practices. Each week we will study one specific material category, one specific construction process, and an overall construction system. The student will have the opportunity to expand the studies to include materials and processes which are normally encountered by the student in his/her work place. In addition the student is expected to research and report on the session materials and processes with respect to sustainable or “green” construction.
Class Organization and Grading:
It is important that you keep up with the class and do not fall behind. Students who are deliberate and diligent with their studies will have an easier time achieving success in any course in the construction certificate programs or any building construction class in which you register.
Course modules will be made available to students on Sunday of each week. Class work must be completed before the following Monday. Students will not be able to work ahead of the class but the reading assignments will be made available in advance. Modules will become available on dates posted on the course calendar.
By the end of this construction materials and processes online class you should:
- Be able to recognize quality control procedures for various materials
- Be familiar with material manufacturing processes
- Understand the physical limitations of the materials we are studying
- Understand how the materials we are studying are used in construction
- Know where to find information about materials when needed
- Understand the regulatory environment under which materials are manufactured and incorporated into new structures
- Know the relevant history of each material
- Know the important aspects of how each material is used in construction processes
Participants will be provided with a textbook, that they may keep. Textbooks will be mailed out prior to class starting. Fundamentals of Building Construction, 7th Edition by Edward Allen and Joseph Iano.
The deadline to receive a refund for event registration is (7) seven business days before the event. Cancellations received after the stated deadline will not be eligible for a refund.