This is a 10-week course that runs from January 16 – March 27, 2023. This construction materials and processes online course will give the student an overall understanding of materials and methods. Each week we will study one specific material category, one specific construction process, and an overall construction system. The student will have the opportunity to expand the studies to include materials and processes which are normally encountered by the student in his/her work place. In addition the student is expected to research and report on the session materials and processes with respect to sustainable or “green” construction.
Class Organization and Grading:
The following table lists the learning modules, the maximum value in points a student can receive within each module, and the time in which the modules must be finished.
By End of Week
0. Student Orientation
1. Learning to Build
2. Wood, Lumber, and Wood Products
3. Constructing With Wood
4. Brick Masonry
5. Stone and Concrete Masonry
6. Steel and Other Metals
7. Concrete the Material
8. Concrete Construction
9. Roofing and Finishes
10. Finishes and Course Wrap up
By the end of this construction materials and processes online class you should:
- Be able to recognize quality control procedures for various materials
- Be familiar with material manufacturing processes
- Understand the physical limitations of the materials we are studying
- Understand how the materials we are studying are used in construction
- Know where to find information about materials when needed
- Understand the regulatory environment under which materials are manufactured and incorporated into new structures
- Know the relevant history of each material
- Know the important aspects of how each material is used in construction processes
Participants will be provided with a text book, that they may keep. Text books will be mailed out prior to class starting. Fundamentals of Building Construction, 7th Edition by Edward Allen and Joseph Iano.
The deadline to receive a refund for event registration is (7) seven business days before the event. Cancellations received after the stated deadline will not be eligible for a refund.