Construction Equipment and Methods will run from June 26 - September 3, 2023. The purpose of this Construction Equipment and Methods, introduces the student to construction equipment and selected heavy civil construction methods. This includes economy, selection, and productivity of common construction equipment and construction procedures for heavy civil construction and site development. The course will cover an introduction to equipment economics and utilization, determining earthwork quantities, equipment production rates, fundamentals of earth moving and excavating, loading and hauling equipment, cranes, compressors, pumps and much more..
Class Organization and Grading:
Students can enjoy taking this and other civil construction management courses online, from anywhere. This course requires students to utilize their critical thinking skills, mathematical skills, and develop a problem solving approach, all part of studying construction management online.
Graded assignments will consist of one homework, one quiz and participation in at least two class discussions for each module. Each quiz will count 10 points, each homework 10 points, and class discussions will count 10 points per module. Students should provide at least 4 contributions to the class discussions each week to gain the maximum points.
By the end of this class you should be able to:
- Become familiar with construction equipment and their capabilities.
- Learn how to best utilize construction equipment on site work and heavy civil projects.
- Understand standard terminology, designations, sizes, and gradations of equipment.
- Properly select heavy equipment based on applications, utilization, productivity, and other factors.
- Understand the elements of equipment cost and evaluating investment alternatives.
- Utilize the CAT Handbook to determine production rates for heavy equipment
- Develop a basic understanding of unit price and earthwork quantities
- Demonstrate awareness of construction safety related to earth moving operations
- Describe the characteristics of heavy civil construction projects.
- Develop a structured estimating process in unit price estimating
Participants will be provided with a textbook that they may keep. Textbooks will be mailed out prior to class starting.
The deadline to receive a refund for event registration is (7) seven business days before the event. Cancellations received after the stated deadline will not be eligible for a refund.