April 6 – June 14, 2020
Students should expect to spend 3-5 hours per week on course work.
This Estimating and Bidding 1 Online course features hands-on estimating and quantity take off activities associated with General Conditions, Site Work, Concrete and Form Work, and Masonry Estimating.
It is important that the student keep up with the class and not fall behind. Course modules will be made available to students on Sunday of each week. Class work must be completed before the following Monday. Students will not be able to work ahead of the class although reading assignments will be made available in advance and posted in the Critical Course Information.
Estimating and Bidding 1 Online will run from September 14, 2020 – November 22, 2020 and covers a foundation skill in construction. Participants should know how to read blueprints and have basic knowledge of estimating.
PREREQUISITES: To do well in this course you should already have the following skills:
- Know how to read blueprints
- Know how to use a spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel, Numbers (Mac), or the spreadsheet software found in open source software programs (i.e. LibreOffice, Open Office)
- Have a basic knowledge of construction estimating subjects including:
- Basic math skills
- Estimating terminology (quantity take off, unit price, production rate, etc.)
- Use of the calculator and architectural scale
- Be able to organize your work so it can be easily understood by others
This online estimating and bidding course is designed to provide you with hands-on estimating and quantity take off activities associated with General Conditions, Site Work, Concrete and Form work, and Masonry Estimating. By the end of this class you should be able to plan for and organize an estimate, estimate the cost of general conditions, prepare quantity take off of excavation and back-fill, prepare a quantity take off of concrete and form work, use unit prices to price your estimate, and prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of masonry work. This class is 100% online. Students should expect to spend 3-5 hours a week on course work from September 14, 2020 – November 22, 2020.
Modules covered in class include:
Orientation, An Overview of Estimating and Bidding
Planning and Organizing the Estimate
Estimating General Conditions
Estimating Labor and Equipment
Estimating Site Work - Excavation
Estimating Site Work – Utilities and Other Site Amenities
Concrete Estimating 1 – Footings and Foundations
Concrete Estimating 2 – Slab on Grade
Concrete Estimating 3 – Columns, Walls and Systems
Estimating Masonry Construction
By the end of this class you should be able to:
- Plan for and organize an estimate
- Estimate the cost of general conditions
- Prepare quantity take off of excavation and back-fill
- Prepare a quantity take off of concrete, and form work
- Use unit prices to price your estimate
- Prepare a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of masonry work
Students will also need the following materials:
- A calculator
- An architectural scale
- A couple of colored pencils
- A spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers). An acceptable free spreadsheet program can be downloaded from OpenOffice.org,
Students will be provided with a textbook, Estimating in Building Construction, 9th Edition by Steven Peterson and Frank Dagostino, that they may keep. Text books will be mailed out prior to class starting.